Frequently Asked Questions


I recently found out that my child has an autism diagnosis. 

What do I do now?

You’ve come to the right place. Let us help you with the next steps.

What is Applied Behavior Analysis and how can it help my child? 

Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) is the application of empirically validated approaches used to bring about meaningful changes in behavior. Understanding how one’s interaction with their environment shapes the skills that they learn and demonstrate is central to treatment.  Behavior Analysts observe, interact and assess each client to determine what purpose behaviors serve in their environment and focus on replacing any maladaptive behaviors by teaching positive skills that meet the same needs and improve quality of life. Highly individualized, each treatment package is based on assessment results and the specific needs of the individual.  Pro-social behaviors that have been proven to be highly effectively taught through ABA include language and communication, social skills, self-care skills, social-emotional development, independence in daily routines, school-prep skills and much more. 

How do I get started? What information will you need? 

Step one is to fill out a ‘Request for Services” form at the bottom of the home page on our website. Once this is complete, we will check your benefits and contact you to discuss your needs or the needs of your loved one. If you decide to proceed with services, we will schedule an intake meeting.  Intake meetings are typically completed with two clinicians. While one clinician gathers information from the parent or caregiver, the other clinician will be interacting with the child or individual in need of services, assessing the individual’s play skills, language and communication skills, interest in various reinforcers and more. Information gathered during the intake will determine therapy recommendations and what initial goals and strategies will be most appropriate for the starting phases of treatment. Intake meetings typically last 1 ½ hours. Diagnosis paperwork is required to be approved for ongoing services. If you have diagnostic paperwork, please be sure to bring this to the intake or upload to the website when you apply.  If you do not have a copy of diagnosis paperwork, CAC can send you a medical necessity form for your child’s Primary Care Physician to complete, sign and fax to us. The following documents are not required but can be very informative if available: 

1. Any documents from previous ABA providers (treatment plans, behavior plans)

2. IEP(s)

3. Psychiatric evaluations

4. Speech Language Pathology/Occupational Therapy reports

Following your intake, you will receive an email with one final assessment to complete (this will take 15-20 minutes). 

What if my child doesn’t have a diagnosis yet? 

We can help. If you suspect that your child may have autism, ADD, or ADHD, we can schedule an appointment with our diagnosing clinician to evaluate whether your child meets diagnostic criteria. If you suspect a disability other than these, we can refer you to an outside clinician who can evaluate your child. Depending on your individual funding source, a diagnosis may not be necessary to begin therapy. In these limited cases, we must first determine medical necessity and a Primary Care Physician may need to sign off on treatment to be eligible for coverage. 

What should I expect when starting ABA services?

Following an intake meeting, a treatment plan with therapy recommendations will be written and submitted to you and your funding source for approval.  After approval, a consultant will contact you to determine an ongoing therapy schedule. We require one session per week to be held at one of our clinical locations, with limited exceptions. Depending on the individual needs, remaining sessions may take place in the clinic, or in the home, school and/or community. 

Frequency of therapy varies dramatically based on the needs of the individual served, but can range anywhere from two to thirty hours per week (2-6 hours per session) depending on baseline levels and goal areas to be addressed. Initial sessions are important for building rapport between client and clinician, understanding what motivates and reinforces the client, and probing out various interventions to ensure that the strategies utilized are best-suited to the individual. 

If the client is a child, the child and the clinician will spend some time getting to know each other through play!  Establishing a positive and trusting relationship is critical to maximize a child’s learning potential. Once rapport is established, the clinician will target multiple goals, with a focus on those in the written treatment plan. Teaching of treatment plan goals typically include a mix of time spent with the clinician working one on one with the child learning skills in controlled setting, and time spent with the parents and school or other community members involved to ensure that the skills generalize to the natural environment.  CAC believes that when all environments related to an individual’s daily life can coordinate and collaborate on approaches and strategies, learning can be maximized to the benefit of all involved.  Because of this, most treatment plans will include at least one goal targeting generalization of skills with parents or in other relevant natural environments.   

What insurances do you accept?

Along with Medicaid (EPSDT, CES, SLS/COMP Waivers), CAC accepts United Healthcare, Optum, Tricare, Beacon and Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield.  Check with your provider to ensure that your plan has an ABA benefit. If you have any questions regarding your funding, please contact us and we will check your benefits for you, and can work to create single case agreements with insurance companies who are not listed above. If you do not have existing coverage, we will work together with you to try to help you get connected with resources that can help. 

How much should I expect to have to pay to receive services? 

Out of pocket costs are dependent on the insurance plan or funding source that you have. Please check with your insurance provider to ensure that they provide ABA benefits and to get information on co-pays, deductibles and out-of-pocket maximums of your specific plan. CAC strives to make services accessible to everyone who could benefit and therefore devotes time and resources to figuring out how to link clients in need with a funding stream that can help.  

Who will be working with my child and what kind of supervision will they receive? 

Your child will be assigned a single clinician or multiple clinicians depending on the amount of therapy received. Each clinician with CAC is certified by the Behavior Analytic Certification Board (BACB) as either a BCBA (Board Certified Behavior Analyst), or BCABA (Board Certified Assistant Behavior Analyst) - a licensed clinician undergoing certification. RBTs (Registered Behavior Technicians) may also serve the client under supervision of the BCBA in situations that the child receives a high number of hours weekly. 

Immediately after intake, it is likely that your child will have an extra clinician available to assist with the startup of your child’s program. This clinician is involved to help provide an extra layer of support for the child, the family, and the consulting clinician, to ensure that all clients get a smooth startup. Every clinician at CAC operates as part of a clinical team, so it is common that another clinician will occasionally observe and give input into your child’s session to problem solve any barriers as they arise and that at least two sets of eyes are on each client’s programming to ensure that they are progressing at the targeted rate. 

What is a BCBA, a BCaBA, and an RBT?

A BCBA is a Board-Certified Behavior Analyst who has a Master’s degree or higher, has completed coursework specific to behavior analysis, has attained all required hours of supervision and has passed the board exam. 

A BCaBA is a Board-Certified Assistant Behavior Analyst who has a Bachelor’s degree or higher, has completed Master’s level coursework specific to behavior analysis, has attained all required hours of supervision and has passed the board exam. A BCaBA practices under supervision of a BCBA. 

An RBT is a registered behavior technician. An RBT has completed 40 hours of coursework related to behavior analysis, passed a competency exam and practices under direct supervision from a BCaBA and/or a BCBA. 

What is the parent/caregiver’s role in ABA therapy? 

CAC encourages parent involvement during behavior therapy sessions. Initially, while the clinician is building rapport, it is sometimes not necessary to be very involved as the clinician’s goal is to simply play, bond with your child and test out strategies. As time goes on and progress is made with goals, parents are encouraged to observe and practice alongside their assigned clinician when possible. Many of our treatment plans will include a parent goal. For example, a goal can be written to generalize skills mastered in their natural environment or to simply practice 1-2 basic ABA principles in the home per authorization period. We do offer online training courses to help understand some of the goals you may see in practice during behavior sessions. Please reach out to your assigned clinician if this is something of interest! 

Do you work with siblings and/or peers? 

Siblings and peers may be involved in portions of therapy if it supports the goals being targeted. For example, if your child has a goal to interact with siblings in play, the clinician may work first work one on one with your child to master interactive games, then bring in a sibling to help to generalize this skill to the natural environment. Similarly, if your child struggles to stay seated with the family at the dinner table and you choose to target this as a goal, the clinician may schedule a session to work with your child during this time to help support in this specific situation. A parent should always be available in the household or at the clinic when siblings are involved, as CAC cannot be responsible for siblings during times when they are not active participants in the therapy. 

Do I need to provide anything for therapy? 

For the most part, CAC likes to design programs and behavior plans are realistic and readily able to be followed by families and caregivers in the natural environment with existing resources. This means that we try to use materials and supplies that are already naturally existing in your home, community or school. Your clinician will likely supplement sessions with materials such as visual supports made for your child or teaching supplies loaned from the clinic that are available for use by multiple clients. Occasionally we may recommend for you to order certain supplies from your vendor of choice that may be of ongoing support to your child at home, but these purchase requests are generally infrequent and small in nature. 

Am I allowed to observe sessions? 

Absolutely! If your child is coming to the clinic regularly, we have an observation room for this reason and encourage parents to come in and watch sessions when they are able. 

How will I know about my child’s progress with their goals? 

Your child will have a treatment plan written by your consulting clinician that will outline the goals to be targeted and the desired progress during the upcoming 6 months. Clinicians take data each session to analyze trends and ensure that each client is making the level of progress we want to see. While your clinician will likely meet with you briefly at the end of each session, they will meet with you every 6 months to review your child’s treatment plan, go over the graphed data on their progress and update the goals to ensure that we are constantly pushing your child to their next skill level and addressing the goals that will have the greatest impact for the client and family. 

While the treatment plan will outline the most crucial goals for that period, MANY additional goals are practiced during sessions that aren’t reflected on the treatment plan. ABA therapists are highly skilled at maximizing learning opportunities across a wide range of naturally occurring events. While your child may have 5 goals in their treatment plan for a 2-3 hour session, it would not be uncommon for them to be practicing 10-20 different skills during this time with the clinician. 

What other supports are out there for my family? Where can I go for help? 

While CAC specializes in Behavior Therapy for individuals, families often have additional needs to help support their loved one. We will help to link families up with other supportive resources that may be helpful in caring for your loved one. Some possible supports available to qualifying clients include respite services, home modifications for individuals with disabilities, Movement and Music Therapy, Speech and Occupational Therapy, camps skilled in providing a specialized level of care, Vocational training and job supports to name just a few. Community Center Boards (CCBs) specialize in helping families link up with funding and finding providers that are appropriate for their needs. We can help you get in touch with the one that serves your area or give you other referrals to specific providers when appropriate. 

My child has Medicaid. What should I know about waivers and EPSDT? 

Children who are enrolled in Health First Colorado Medicaid automatically have access to a benefit called EPSDT, which will fund Behavior Therapies and other therapies for a child without copays and deductibles. State Waiver programs (CES, SLS, DD, BI) cover many additional services and expenses that EPSDT does not and may be of benefit to your loved one. If you are eligible, your local Community Center Board (CCB) should be able to help you enroll in a waiver program appropriate for your loved one. Individuals covered by waiver programs are automatically enrolled in Medicaid and thus have access to the Behavior Therapy services as well, even if they have not signed up for Medicaid independently. 

Can you help in school? In the community? 

CAC services and supports in multiple settings related to our clients, including schools, so long as the setting has given their approval and is open to collaboration and support. We value relationships with schools and related providers and believe that the more we can coordinate with all parties involved in our client’s daily life, the better the benefit to the client. 

If you would like school support, please contact your child’s teacher or school psychologist for approval.  CAC does not utilize pull-out therapy sessions while in the school environment, but instead will offer support in whatever form makes sense in the existing environment whether it is offering in-the-moment training and collaboration with teachers and paras on a regular basis, helping to set up supports to promote learning or overcome challenges in the school environment or coordinating with teachers and school personnel as part of the IEP team for the purpose of generalizing learned goals across environments. 

If community safety and community skills are priority for you and your family, CAC can help. With your consent, we can take your child out into the community and practice needed skills. Goals such as street crossing, stranger danger, staying with an adult, waiting in line… these are all important life skills that can be practiced in community sessions. 

How do I know if my insurance covers ABA therapy? 

Many major medical plans now cover ABA therapy (subject to copays and deductibles as outlined in your specific insurance), but some do not. If you are unsure if your insurance covers ABA therapy, we are happy to do a benefits check for you to see what your insurance will cover. If you have coverage, CAC will handle all of the billing on your behalf and will only invoice for co-pays and deductibles as relevant to your plan. After filling out a “Request for Service” form on our website, our billing administrator will contact your insurance company on your behalf and inform you of coverage as soon as possible. 

What do I do if my insurance does not cover ABA therapy? 

If your insurance does not cover ABA benefits, CAC can help guide you to alternative funding streams that can help cover part or all of the cost of therapy for your loved one. In Colorado, there are funding options through Medicaid, Colorado waiver programs and other insurance plans that may be an option for your loved one. We can help provide you with resources and guide you through application processes for these if an alternative form of funding is needed. 

Can my child receive services if they don’t have an autism diagnosis? 

Our clientele has a wide range of diagnoses and some have no diagnosis at all. We tailor our programming based on an individual’s specific needs and current skill levels, not on their diagnosis. If a child meets qualifications for a diagnosis though, this can be highly beneficial in gaining access to an appropriate funding stream for their therapy needs. If your child needs therapy services and does not have a diagnosis, there may be a couple extra steps that are needed to demonstrate “medical necessity” for the individual funding stream. There are certain funding streams that may require a diagnosis for coverage, but we can help guide you through what you need for your specific circumstance.